Foldable toolbar - questionable usability

Thomas Pf. colomar at autistici.org
Wed Jul 1 19:57:29 CEST 2009

Basically a nice idea. I think the menu would have to be higher and the menu
items less high so that more actions fit into it without scrolling. In your
mockup one would need many clicks/keypresses to reach some actions, thus
diminishing the advantage of buttons in the content area vs. items in the
menu: Fast access to common features.
My suggestion, on the other hand, would be to first have a look at what's
currently in the toolbar and try to find out how oftenm they are used. The
"export playlist" button, for example, seems like a good candidate for moving
to the menu to me. I don't think many users export their playlists very
frequently. Even the save button might fit into the menu better, but I'm not
sure about that one. Personally I have never ever saved a single playlist but
I know there are many people who do so rather often.
And: I know you still have negative memories of  KDE 3 apps cluttered with
settings menus. The "configure toolbar" menu is still quite common in KDE 4
though and I don't think it is such a bad one. And since this is Amarok's only
toolbar which would benefit from customization, why not using that common
feature? I for example would immediately remove save and export in favor of
random and repeat modes because I never use the former but use the latter
quite often.
I am definitely not a friend of adding a checkbox for every little element of
the GUI, but configuring toolbars is quite useful for applications with
varying use cases and types of users.

Thomas