[Fwd: Re: Support "album artist" and "artist sort" in TagLib::Tag interface?]

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Sun Jan 11 21:59:41 CET 2009

Mark Kretschmann wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Alex Merry <kde at randomguy3.me.uk> wrote:
>> On Saturday 10 January 2009 21:52:49 Jeff Mitchell wrote:
>>> Might it make sense at some point to do what Songbird does and package
>>> our own Taglib?
>>>
>>> It would certainly help with bug fixes.  Taglib hasn't been released
>>> since January, despite many bug fixes in trunk...not to mention patches
>>> like these that might be useful to us as well.
>> I'd have thought we should try to see if Scott will release an updated version
>> first, before we start going down the route of including copies of our
>> dependencies...
>>
>> While including dependencies is expected on Windows and MacOS, it tends to
>> just cause problems on Linux, and I'm not sure packagers would appreciate it
>> particularly.
>
> Generally, Scott is a really nice and smart guy, and I think we should
> talk to him first, before taking any drastic measures.
>
> Maybe together we can find a way to speed up TagLib development,
> without forking it :)

Perhaps.  I talked to him recently about releasing an update, since when
he released 1.5 in January he pledged more frequent updating.  The
answer I got was basically "I'm totally swamped right now and have no
time to validate all of the changes".

When he releases, he goes through all the patches that have been
submitted and bugs that have been opened and inspects the former and
closes the latter.  This takes a decent amount of time.  I'm not sure
that we could help with a speedup on development unless he trusts us
enough to do this process for him (or not necessarily even a matter of
trust, but just of willingness).

Rolling our own could also allow us to add patches that do nice things,
which was my original reason for forwarding this.

--Jeff