GSoC 2009

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 16:47:28 CET 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Lydia Pintscher <lydia at kde.org> wrote:
> While this is true we also have to remember that KDE is very very
> likely going to get fewer slots this year and we need to use the few
> slots we get very wisely.
> As much as I would love to give them all to existing team members we
> definitely need to get new people involved.

I've heard business types say its costs 10x as much to get a new
customer as it does to retain a current customer. I think this is true
for developers as well, we should work hard to support our current
developers. (Plus its not really fair that someone having a proven
record might not be chosen precisely because their record is proven).

Anywho this discussion comes up every year. We always end up with a
mix of new students and old hands. Regardless its not something
prospective students should worry about, they should just create their
proposal and let us sort it out. :)

Everyone please put your proposals up in the standard format at:
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Summer_of_Code/2009/Ideas
I've added mine to get it started. Obviously feel free to link to
proposals on our wiki page for extended info.

Ian