DPI problem concerning album covers

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Mon Dec 14 19:57:35 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 7:40 PM, Marco Michel <kadtarka at gmail.com> wrote:
> I had just a conversation with some developers on #amarok.de on
> freenode.net. My Problem is that I do have a very high resolution on
> my monitor: 147x147. As a result I have tiny album covers in my
> collection list (about 4x4 mm).
>
> A resolution to my problem might be found on
> http://doc.trolltech.com/4.5/qpaintdevice.html#physicalDpiX i.e. a
> dynamic scaling of the covers and perhaps some other GUI-elements.

I find this a very interesting idea. Having seen Amarok running on a
ThinkPad W500 (high DPI), e.g. our toolbar buttons look very small and
weird, while they look fine here on my low-DPI display.

Making some elements of the GUI scale dynamically with the current
display DPI could help us with this issue, I think. And it wouldn't
even be hard to implement, considering that most what we use is SVG or
dynamically generated bitmaps anyway.

IMHO, an interesting idea to pursue for future releases (e.g. 2.2.3).

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer