GSoC Status update, visualizations and analyzers and stuff

Martin Sandsmark sandsmark at samfundet.no
Tue Aug 11 18:59:01 CEST 2009

Hi!
Leo asked me if I could “repost” my blog entry to amarok-devel at k.o, so I'm
doing it:

----

So, last status update, probably, from my GSoC; Visualizations in Phonon-based
multimedia players.
I haven't blogged more mainly because my server has been down for the better
part of the summer, and I've been in Ecuador and therefore unable to get it
back on (it's in Trondheim).

So, easiest way to show progress so far, is probably a screenshot:
http://photo.klette.us/i/138/8ac5d-visualizat.png

I have also packaged up a Qt without built-in Phonon, Phonon from SVN with my
work, and my “simpleplayer” (which uses the API I've been working on to
display) for Arch Linux, and put them in AUR:

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=29155 : Qt-NoPhonon
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=29156 : Phonon-SVN
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=29157 : SimplePlayer-GIT

(I recommend just doing `yaourt -S simpleplayer-git`, it should handle it just
fine.)

I'm not completely satisfied yet, as the audio data when using gstreamer is
very out of sync, and while I attempt to keep the data from Phonon-Xine in
sync, I'm not sure it's really working.

Another thing, almost unrelated, is that I plan on posting a blog entry about
how to bring back crossfading in amarok, by fixing crossfading support in the
Phonon-Xine engine. It isn't very hard to do, and most of the code is already
written (by mxcl, for the xine engine in amarok1), but it requires someone to
do it (and I myself couldn't care less about crossfading).

The rest of the GSoC time I will spend trying to fix the synchronization of
audio data in both backends, and also clean up everything, document what I've
done, and fix the unit tests in Phonon (they're kind of bit-rotted).

If you want to contact me, send me a mail at sandsmark at samfundet dot no, or
come on IRC (I'm ‘sandsmark’ on Freenode, EFnet and IRCnet).

(NP: Blue Stahli - ULTRAnumb, it's awesome (it really is, and indie!) :-D)

--
Martin Sandsmark
IT-Komiteen, Samfundet