Post 2.0.0 release plan discussion

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 18:15:12 CET 2008

markey, lfranchi and I had a discussion about how to handle the first
few releases after 2.0.0 that I think it makes sense to summarize here
so others can comment.

The main point is that we should do a number of very fast 2.0.x bugfix
releases. A sane proposal would be do to 2 3 week release cycles ( 2
weeks development, 1 week freeze ) for 2.0.1 and 2.0.2. This will
allow us to quickly respond to the worst bugs that show up after the
final is released.

The main point of discussion is how to handle trunk, and when to
branch off the 2.0.x branch. There was agreement that at the very
least, 2.0.1 should be developed in trunk. This is simply to encourage
people to help out with fixing the worst bugs rather than go out and
start implementing huge new features (I know that we are all itching
to do this, I have several projects lined up that I cannot wait to get
started on, but handling the worst bugs now will save us a lot of time
and trouble later). Personally, I currently think that it makes sense
to do 2.0.2 in trunk as well (but this might change depending on the
number and severity of bugs and how 2.0.1 turns out) others think we
should branch off right after 2.0.1.

The main point of this though, is that we need to set some fixed dates
for freezes and releases so that these first 2 releases do not drag
out.

- Nikolaj