CV states

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Wed Aug 27 16:51:42 CEST 2008

On Aug 23, 2008, at 6:11 AM, Lydia Pintscher wrote:

> +1 for states.
> I think it is really important.
> I really want to have stuff like stats about the collection or newest
> albums to not be shown all the time in my CV. Showing this stuff when
> no song is playing would be nice for me. (And is the way we did it in
> Amarok 1 - not that that matters much here.)

So as much as it pains me to say this, I think we're gonna be stuck
with a state-less CV for 2.0. I've been wrestling with a few problems
in the code (for example, engineStateChanged gets called multiple
times on state change so it is a bad indicator of what do switch
when), as well as some CV stuff that is hard to integrate (e.g. right
now adding an applet puts it in the next containment w/ room and
switches to it, which is not ideal for "resetting" a containment to a
certain state), and the degree of engineering that I want to do to
make the state-awareness functional and easy is just too much to
insert while we are in a freeze and between betas.

So I propose moving it to 2.0.1/2.1/whatever comes next, because we
really want to have a polished interface to present the user.

leo

---
Leo Franchi				(650) 704 3680
Tufts University 2010