Ampache service, was: Re: extragear/multimedia/amarok/src

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 09:51:35 CEST 2008

I will have to disagree with most of this on technical grounds.

The main reason I used the collection framework as the basis for the
services is that it allows a very great degree of code reuse that
would otherwise not be possible. For instance, the code to display the
tree view in the main collection and in the services are the same.
This allows for consistent behavior, look and feel to be maintained
without having to duplicate efforts. And I think moving away from this
would be a mistake. Actually, I only realized the point that this
would mean that services could show up as "just another" collection in
the main collection view later. I also think that many of these
collections need the service. For instance, the Magnatune and Jamendo
services are ( although they only achieved this state recently ) based
on "complete" collections that _should_ support the full range of
operations needed by, say, dynamic playlists, it still makes a lot of
sense to have a separate GUI that allows additional operation, such as
purchases, as well as showing additional information. And although I
might be in the minority, I really like being able to go to the
"internet" tab and have the content from different sources separated
out, instead of trying to cram everything into one big tree view (
which people are of course welcome to do, I just want the other option
as well ).

The thing about defining the difference between services and
collections I think should be done on a per case basis. All services
are collections, we just need to decide if they are complete enough to
be usable with regards to dynamic playlists and if it makes sense to
do so.

- Nikolaj