Collection View/Playlist Ideas

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Sat May 12 02:39:07 CEST 2007

Here's a couple ideas that were floated on IRC:

The Kopete style scrolling could be implemented such that it toggles when the
user either holds down or clicks the middle mouse button.  This way, it's
easily accessible for those that want it, but not forced on those that don't
(and not made into a menu option).  Users can pick which way they want, when
they want.

Regarding my Pop-Up Dropper idea, the Context View is right next to the
Collection View and is a QGraphicsView -- which is designed to display
graphical items and scroll, zoom and scale them quickly (plus I'm assuming
OpenGL eye candy could be added if we wanted).  So on a drag start, the
Collection View could trigger the Context View to shade what's currently
there, and pop up these new items and handle them...when the user gets too
far away or stops the drag, those new items are disabled and the rest of the
scene is re-enabled.  Or something like that...I don't know much about it,
but it seems like it might be doable.  Anyone's thoughts/revelations/know-how
is appreciated.  But I gotta say, if we have this large QGraphicsView in the
center of our app, we may as well use it   :-)

--Jeff