Non-windows stuff to do

Shane King kde at dontletsstart.com
Tue Dec 11 04:33:07 CET 2007

Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> Shane King wrote:
>> Saro Engels wrote:
>>
>>> hm, the problem has another issue: maintaining the stuff we did -
>>> currently the kde on windows part isn't that big, so we can hardly
>>> support kde correctly - it would even get worse if we had to support
>>> some other libraries as well (though we definitely could tie this
>>> backend pretty much to kde). I am pretty sure that the user base on
>>> windows will grow really fast and that we might attract new (windows)
>>> developers really soon - but until then we should wait.
>>>
>> Agreed. I'm reluctant to add in support for media devices that nobody
>> can maintain. Sure I can compile the libraries but when the first bug
>> comes in I can't do anything about it. Buggy support is worse than no
>> support IMO, as it makes the program look bad. If that means Amarok
>> doesn't support some devices under windows that it does under linux so
>> be it.
>>
> I'm actually totally in agreement.  I think we'll get some Windows
> talent that will want to help us out once we get it to a state on
> Windows where it's easy to develop.  It's not a priority for me either.
> Was just something I mentioned, you know, if you had some spare cycles.
>
> --Jeff

I might look into seeing how hard it is to get those libraries compiled
(from a quick search, the answer seems to be the windows ports of some
of them are a bit spotty). We can always leave them disabled by default,
but have the basic work done so that they're easy to pick up if someone
wants to.

You're probably right about getting more interest once it's easier to
develop.

Shane.