Project involving Mer/Plasma Active

Carl Symons carlsymons at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 15:01:43 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 6:54 PM, Jason Spisak <jasonspisak at gmail.com> wrote:
> Plasma Team,
>
> I know you are all incredibly busy advancing Plasma Active.  As a KDE user from 1.1 (konqueror was so simple yet powerful back then!) I believe many KDE technologies are poised for a breakthrough in the markets around the world.  I am going to be creating a tablet based product and would love to partner with a good team and estimate the cost to get it completed for investors.  Do you know the best avenue for communication to take?  I know several of you work for companies that do this type of thing.
>
> All my best,
>
> Jason Spisak
> (formerly #2 at Lycoris, a KDE based distro way back in time ;-)

Hello Jason,

It's not clear from your message what you have planned for a
tablet-based product. There are a couple of resources that may be
interesting to you.

http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Active is the starting page for things
that are happening with Plasma Active. In those pages, there are
instructions for installing PA on a variety of devices.

You may also want to check out http://makeplaylive.com/ (includes
contact information). A group of people closely related with KDE are
working on a tablet that is optimized for PA, and is truly free and
open ... to the greatest extent possible. MakePlayLive is the central
hub for that project. The site is dated because of some hardware
vendor misunderstandings, but the project itself is still quite alive.
A new website is in the works.

The Make Play Live Partner Network
(dot.kde.org/2012/05/22/announcing-make-play-live-partner-network)
might be a good entry point for pulling together a good team for your
project.

Carl