Task proposal: Integration of Cloud computing

Marie Hrdinová riema.sai at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 17:56:24 UTC 2012

Hi,
since it looks like the idea of cloud integration drew attention, I'd
like to write how the process of planning continues.

I'd like to write the application divided into independent layers, so
it'd be possible to integrate different clouds only by changing the
layer which works directly with the cloud.

I'm planning to use KIO slaves wherever it's possible.

So far it looks like the best choice for integration is ownCloud.
It has support for different types of data, so it should be possible
to treat files according to their purpose.
For contacts, calendars and bookmarks I will try to find a way to
connect ownCloud with Akonadi.
For Music - the Bangarang player - a solution for integration may be
via stream option.
Configuration files should be stored in a directory on cloud. There
are two possibilities. Either the configuration on cloud will be only
a backup or files will be synchronized with cloud with local cache on
device (when there is no internet connection). Question is if it would
be possible to share configuration between different devices and in
this case how to resolve incompatible options.

If you have any suggestions, ideas, comments or questions, I'll be
glad to hear them.
Marie Hrdinová