RFC: indicate visually that the top bar is draggable

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 14:54:52 UTC 2011

On Thursday 27 October 2011, Fania Bremmer wrote:
> ** Proposed Change **
> Provide a visual indicator like an arrow or little drag-icons (or something
> else?), that the Peek&Launch Area is draggable to the bottom.
>
> ** Reason For Change **
> A lot of users didnt know that the top bar is draggable at all. The only
> saw it as other people were doing it.
>
> ** Implementation Details **
> - a visual element needs to be added to the top bar

that reminds me the discussion we had at the workshop.
dragging what looks like an old windows taskbar is not something common at
all. putting an arrow would suggest that there is a button, not that is
draggable (so would basically mean reverting to what we had before, a button
that opens, and generally a draggable behavior)
so i'm not sure that's the solution or that -needs- a solution.
it's typically one of the things that only need a lot of advertising, like the
pinching gesture at the beginning or the nokia swipe thinghy.

they look so natural and obvious but they have no visual hints whatoever, why?
i think it's just the amount of publicity they got that made those gesture
obvious. that is of course something harder for us since we have less
advertising muscles.

that's just an opinion, then reverting back to the old button, maybe with a
different icon isn't hard, just looks a bit a step back ;)