RFC: changes to the About application

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu Oct 27 14:06:31 UTC 2011

> Am 27.10.2011 14:32, schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> > On Thursday, October 27, 2011 14:13:17 Marco Martin wrote:
> >> uhm, is pretty common in all standard about dialogs of kde apps.. if
> >> consensus of the people mentioned there is reached i think we can
well
> kill
> >> this page..
> > i'm not concerned about the Authors page (in fact, i think that's
great).
> what
> > bothers me is that we have one contributor mentioned on the "About"
> page.
> >

> actually I have been asked too from an app contributor, where his name
> will be shown - from my point of view this belongs directly into the
> app, in some "about this app" section, no? I mean, *if* some day an app
> store is launched, we have to do it this way anyway, i guess...

I'd say "Yes, put it in an app-specific About dialog" (we'd have to find a

place to launch it from, though, since we won't have the standard menus
in most Active apps) as long as we are still in an "app-world".
Once we have successfully transitioned from monolithic "Apps" to freely
recombinable building blocks for workflows, though, everything will
become an integrated part of the whole Plasma Active system.

I don't know when we'll make that transition (we're still 95% app-driven
right now imho), but I don't think we should encourage the mental model
of applications by associating authors with applications.

So here's my suggestion:
Have one central authors page for Plasma Active and all integrated
components / building blocks / whatever (we should come up with a good
name for them since they are a pretty cool concept that should be spread
even though it isn't really implemented yet) and associate authors with
their respective component (e.g. "Resources Management: Marco Martin").

Cheers,
Thomas