Recommendations workflow

Carl Symons carlsymons at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 15:49:14 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 4:01 AM, Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar at autistici.org> wrote:
>> The contextual file (resource) browser is in plans, but I don't think
>> we'll be able to do it before PA3 or something.
>
> We still have not settled if we'll do it for PA2 or PA3, but it definitely
> is high priority to have at least a minimal file/resource browser,
> which will definitely be contextual in that it will be completely
> nepomuk-based instead of file system based. The user won't have
> to care about where in the file system a file is located, only what
> semantic properties it has (tags, any sort of metadata). We're planning
> to hide the file system form novice / regular users completely.
>
> This is also one point where recommendations make sense:
> Having an "Intelligent 'Recent Documents' function" that does not
> just show the last X docuements opened, but instead the X documents
> most relevant to the user's current task and context.

My main (only) point is that ongoing development should support the
long term Contour Vision. [1] I do not want to interfere in
issues--such as how, how long, which release--that belong to the PA
design & development team.

My intended contribution is that I've talked with many people and am
sharing their reactions. When I present the Contour Vision, people
always lean forward. It doesn't matter if it's a just graduated
non-technical college student or an experienced FOSS user.

In my discussion of Contour, I generally add a reference to Vannevar
Bush's "As We May Think" Memex. Last Saturday, one guy knew that
treatise quite well, added to its description, and then listened
attentively as I drew parallels between the Memex and Plasma Active.

Carl

[1] http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Active/Contour#Our_Vision