first press article

Carl Symons carlsymons at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 14:12:22 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 2:13 AM, Karlheinz Hohm
<Karlheinz.Hohm at basyskom.de> wrote:

> On October 11, 2011 at 10:24 PM Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar at autistici.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Di, 2011-10-11 at 21:13 +0200, Marco Martin wrote:
>> > another one (and seems he actually tested it):
>> >

>> > http://www.datamation.com/open-source/kdes-plasma-active-tops-gnome-3-and-
>> > unity-1.html
>> >
>> > Bruce always been favourable to us, but this time seems really
>> > entusiastic ;)
>>
>> Really cool one :) And there we can see the difference between someone
>> just judging the book by its cover and someone who actually read it.
>>
>> One thing that struck me in the article:
>> Why are the recommendations available in the Balsam image?
>> I thought we had agreed not to show the recommendations in general
>> because they were not deemed ready yet, but obviously this was only
>> agreed between the basyskom people. This is of course confusing for
>> users as well, because they don't know the recommendations were
>> deliberately deactivated on the meego image.
>
> it was agreed in general and not only between basyskom people, but there was
> an issue that recommendations panel still appeared after the discussed
> mechanism how to hide was realized. Marco fixed that just before the weekend
> (Thursday or Friday last week), so may be this patch didn't get into the
> Balsam image anymore but in the MeeGo image we had it.

I can't locate the message just now. But Marco put the recommendations
back in because it was being used by some people. He announced
somewhere that he was doing that and why. I requested it because it
was an important part of the demo pitch I was planning to do at a big
Intel meeting. I kinda recall that some core developers needed it too.

Don't know why there's a difference between openSUSE (which I'm
running, but not the Balsam image) and the MeeGo image.

Carl