Some of the things needed for 1.0

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Oct 3 11:50:20 UTC 2011

On Sunday, October 2, 2011 08:42:51 Carl Symons wrote:
> As it currently is, Calligra Active is not ready for the tablet.

i agree with your assessment.

if we put everyone's points together, we get something like this:

* Calligra and Okular both are "document viewers". While there is some overlap
in the formats supported or planned to be supported, they don't show all of
the same document formats.

* We have the ability to embed into or launch from such a shell either
Calligra apps or Okular, and this could be driven by the file type in question

* Calligra and Okular document viewer windows have different UI experiences,
and neither is exactly ready for prime time usage on a tablet

* We need/want a universal viewer shell that starts with a great touch-based
UI for exploring and opening files

does that about sum it up?

if so, i'd like us to consider that this is actually two separate, though
highly related, goals:

* a document collection explorer

* a set of document viewers

the collection explorer is currently served by some combination of:

* Activities
* file manager and/or file dialog
* Nepomuk-driven listings (those "purdy buttons" seen when Calligra Active
starts)

Activities are really shaping up into something beautiful and useful. the
other two items are not so great yet.

we the Plasma Active Workshop the other week we worked on some concepts for
quickly and easily sort and select large numbers of documents. the target file
type was "photos" but we realized the same workflow could be broadly applied
to any kind of file.

building a great "full lifecycle" workflow for working with documents, be they
images or spreadsheets or essays or e-books or web sites or ..., should be a
hot focus item for us in the next Plasma Active developmen cycles.

we can then separate out the "document collection explorer" part of this from
the equation. Calligra Active and Okular would then both become squarely
focused on viewing the documents, leaving the "how does the user start these
components" up to the environment. same thing with Bangarang, imho.

we already have a (very early) start to this with the active image viewer, and
we have the workflows that the interaction designers worked on the other week.

Calligra and Okular developers would be VERY welcome to help us design and
implement this infrastructure. but imho the most important thing is for these
projects to focus on being amazing document _viewers_.

having a consistent UI concept that both can adopt for common things like "how
to position content", "how to show UI chrome", "how to enter and leave full
screen display", "how to zoom, pan and move between pages in the document"
should be made as consistent as possible between them.

how to technologically achieve that consistency is an open question left to
those projects: by sharing UI components (QML?), by embedding the different
viewers in one shared control shell .. or some other genius idea :)

and when we split it up like that, it becomes evident what we need to work on:

* the generic document collection overview interface

* the "paged documents" viewer interface language

* implementing that viewer interface language in both calligra and okular

then we use Calligra apps with the formats they are best at viewing, Okular
with the formats it is best at viewing and share the document collection
viewer apparatus between those, and indeed all other media display, apps.

thoughts?

humru othro a kohnu se